From archaeological findings and documentation, it is evident that Napton-on-the Hill has a long and interesting history. Finds have dated back as far as the Neolithic and the Bronze Age periods. Napton is derived from the Old English cnaepp meaning ‘hilltop’ and tun meaning ‘settlement’. In the Domesday book of 1086 the village was recorded as Neptone.
The village is watched over by its majestic Windmill and historic St. Lawrence’s Church. The Grand Union and Oxford Canal form a moat like quality at the foot of the hill, a set of 8 locks where the two canals meet, challenge the numerous boaters that use the waterways each year. Napton has an amazing ability to harmonise the old and new. Small stone and brick cottages nestle into the hillside alongside spacious modern homes. There are a surprisingly large number of amenities for a small village which include a shop and post office, three public houses, a social club, sports facilities including LTA affliated tennis courts, fishing pools, campsites, canal side shops and marina. There are also three village greens to enjoy and numerous events throughout the year.
The village is very proud of St Lawrence’s, which is a very happy, high achieving church school rated as good by Ofsted. It is also the home of Little Lawrence’s and welcomes children who are coming up to 3 years old from Napton and beyond. Secondary education is found at Southam College which is rated as outstanding by Ofsted. Private education can be found in Princethorpe, Leamington Spa, Warwick and Rugby.
The village has excellent road links to the towns of Leamington Spa, Rugby and Warwick where you will find mainline railway stations.This part of Warwickshire is well served with motorways and the M40, M42,M6 and M1 are all within an easy radius.